Become a Mortgage Loan Originator (MLO)
Pre-Licensure Education Requirements:
New state-licensed Mortgage Loan Originators (MLOs) are required to complete 23 hours of NMLS-approved education, this is comprised of the 3-hour TX-SML SAFE Course and a 20-Hour MLO SAFE Comprehensive Course.
Continuing Education Requirements:
Every state-licensed MLO (in any approved status) is required to complete at least 8 hours of NMLS approved education annually beginning the year they are licensed.
About Learn Mortgage Courses
Learn Mortgage courses are approved by the NMLS to fulfill the SAFE Act education requirements. To meet your education requirements, please keep in mind the following:
- You must have a unique NMLS ID available before the class ends. Your NMLS ID is required to get credit for completing the course. To obtain an NMLS ID, contact the NMLS by visiting their website.
- Our National Courses and 6-Hour SAFE elective course are NMLS-approved instructor-led courses and provide the tools to help you successfully complete your online pre-licensing education in preparation for your exam.
- The Course Resources Page in the Course Introduction Module includes helpful reference documents such as instructions for taking tests, posting on discussion threads and homework assignments, responding to emails, appendix and glossary, and contact information for Technical Support.
- Our courses are divided into modules of instruction. You can review and print the course syllabus for details regarding these instructions.
- Every module has a required reading assignment, discussion question, and exam. Select modules have a required homework assignment that you must respond to. The exams in each module can only be accessed once you have completed all the required assignments within each module section.
- ALL national courses have several required “homework” assignment(s). Details for these assignments are available on the Homework Assignment page in select modules. You must complete the homework assignment(s) to receive credit for the course.
- Although you may be able to access a module and its reading assignments, you can’t start a module exam until it is unlocked. New module exams are unlocked daily throughout the date/time period of the class session. For example, in the 14-day session, the module 3 exam is unlocked on day 2; the final exam unlocked on day 14. You can work at your own pace, but you cannot work ahead.
- Every module, including the Course Introduction, has a required exam that you must take to proceed to the next module. You must achieve a score of 70% on the required exams before the next module is made accessible. You may retake the exams in each module as often as you like during the class session.
- Each National Course and 6-Hour SAFE elective course has a specific start and end date. Once the course ends, you will not have access to the course.
A bachelor’s degree or higher from an accredited college or university satisfies all of the related education requirements for a broker’s license. A copy of the college transcript awarding the degree must be submitted as evidence of completion of the degree.